Nancy Connelly joined the Healthcare Division at RCM&D in 2003. As a registered nurse with over 20 years of experience in risk management, Nancy understands the unique challenges facing healthcare organizations. At RCM&D, she channels that understanding to help clients not only identify and reduce exposures but also enhance patient safety and improve processes.
As a risk management consultant to RCM&D’s healthcare clients, Nancy performs risk assessments, conducts post-event analyses following adverse events, develops customized educational programs, and researches evidence-based practices unique to the organization’s needs. Nancy is a member of RCM&D’s healthcare enterprise risk management team and provides locum tenens consulting for healthcare organizations in the mid-Atlantic region.
Nancy has shared her expertise across varied audiences including obstetric and neonatal, long-term care, rehabilitation and physician practices. She has lectured on topics such as patient monitoring and documentation, disclosure and apology, risk management, and more. She has contributed to published works including ASHRM’s “Physician Office Risk Management Playbook” in 2016, “Risk Management Pearls for Obstetrics” in 2013, and the “Obstetric Risk Management Playbook” in 2017. She has served on the editorial review board of the organization’s Journal of Healthcare Risk Management since 2011.
Prior to joining RCM&D, Nancy was employed as a nurse paralegal with a law firm focusing on medical malpractice defense. She also worked as a risk management analyst at Columbia Hospital for Women in Washington, D.C. where she was responsible for assisting with management of the self-insurance trust, presenting educational programs to the staff, investigating adverse events, and acting as liaison between outside counsel and hospital staff. Nancy’s clinical experience is varied with a strong concentration in women’s health, specifically, labor and delivery, and high-risk antepartum.
Education & Professional Development
- Sisters of Charity Hospital School of Nursing — Registered Nurse (RN)
- University of Maryland University College — English (B.A.)
- Certified Professional in Healthcare Risk Management (CPHRM)
- Fellow, American Society for Healthcare Risk Management (FASHRM)
- Distinguished Fellow, American Society for Healthcare Risk Management (DFASHRM)
Professional Affiliations & Civic Organizations
- American Society for Healthcare Risk Management (ASHRM)
- Maryland-DC Society for Healthcare Risk Management (MD-DC SHRM) — President, 2017
- Virginia Chapter of the American Society of Healthcare Risk Management (VASHRM)
- Association for Women’s Health, Obstetric & Neonatal Nurses
- Loudoun County, VA Medical Reserve Corps