Stephen brings a distinct blend of hands-on construction experience coupled with insurance and surety expertise to his role as director of RCM&D’s surety operations and senior vice president.
As both a civil engineer and former underwriter, Stephen’s breadth of real-world industry knowledge is unique in the surety field. In his current role, Stephen manages the overall strategy of RCMD’s surety department, including sales, service and marketing, to ensure high levels of service, the most competitive bond programs for clients, and significant strategic business advice.
Stephen draws on his experience as a former senior claims engineer, where he was responsible for the financial and technical analysis of hundreds of construction defaults and oversaw a wide variety of construction projects totaling an average of $200 million per year throughout the US, Canada, and the Caribbean. He also continues to share this knowledge with others in the industry through his frequent speaking engagements at various organizations.
Prior to joining RCM&D in 2008, he led Allied North America’s Washington DC office for four years as executive vice president. Stephen also served as a senior construction surety underwriter at St. Paul Fire and Marine, a senior claims engineer at USF&G and a project manager for Whiting Turner Contracting Company and Structural Preservation Systems.
Education & Professional Development
- Pennsylvania State University – Civil Engineering (BA)
- Loyola College – Finance (MBA)
Professional Affiliations & Civic Organizations
- American Subcontractors Association – Education Committee Chairman (past)
- Construction Financial Management Association (CFMA) Maryland Chapter – Board Member, Vice Chairman
- Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) – Mentor, Young Professional Development Program
- MD Construction Network – Member, Sponsor, Contributor
- Rebuilding Together – House Captain 2014-2015